Photography by Dan Engongoro
Here's another fantastic Back to School recipe. This recipe is proof that you don’t have to sacrifice anything when it comes to sticking some healthy ingredients into your children’s snack bags.
Yields: 24 large brownies
- 4 cups oats
- 1 1/3 cups slivered almonds
- 1¼ cups shredded coconut
- ½ cup + 2 Tbsp brown sugar
- ½ cup maple or pancake syrup
- ½ cup oil
- ¾ tsp salt
- 1 cup oil
- 3 cups sugar
- 3 tsp vanilla extract
- 6 eggs
- 1½ cups whole wheat flour
- 1 cup cocoa
- ¾ tsp baking powder
- ¾ tsp salt
- Preheat oven to 250°F.
- Combine oats, almonds, coconut, and brown sugar in a large bowl. Transfer contents to a lined cookie sheet.
- Combine remaining ingredients in a bowl and pour over ingredients on cookie sheet.
- Mix well and bake for 1 hour and 15 minutes, stirring occasionally. Remove from oven and set aside.
- Preheat oven heat to 350°F.
- Place oil, sugar, and vanilla in the bowl of your mixer. Mix until combined. Add remaining ingredients and continue mixing until the batter is smooth.
- Line an 11x17-inch cookie sheet with parchment paper.
- Spread ½ of the granola mixture on the cookie sheet and spread evenly.
- Pour brownie batter on top of the granola.
- Sprinkle the remaining granola over the brownie batter.
- Bake for 40 minutes.
- Remove from oven and cut into bars.
TIP: Try this granola plain as a cereal or sprinkled over fruit or yogurt.
This recipe by EstherO originally appeared in the Mishpacha Magazine.