Photography by Dan Engongora
Here is another one of the recipes I created last year, for Mishpacha -Family First Magazine. These meringues are mouthwatering. Their attractive design will add an additional flair to these ever popular Passover treats.
- 3 egg whites
- 1 tsp vanilla sugar
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup slivered almonds
- 4 oz semi sweet chocolate-grated
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Using a clean, dry bowl of your mixer, beat egg-whites to form snow.
- Add sugars.
- Fold in grated chocolate and almonds by hand.
- Divide batter into two parts and add 3 T cocoa to one part. Fold gently.
- Line a cookie sheet with parchment paper.
- Drop vanilla mixture onto the cookie sheets by half teaspoonfuls, about 2 inches apart.
- Using a clean spoon, place a half of a teaspoon of chocolate mixture right next to the vanilla mixture.
- Wet your hands to combine vanilla and chocolate mixtures into one meringue.
- Form a “peak” as you combine and continue until all meringues are formed.
Bake 10 minutes ,wait until cool to remove from cookie sheets. To avoid cracking, use a metal spatula.
Yields: approximately 2 dozen meringues.
This article by EstherO. originally appeared in Mishpacha Magazine.