As mentioned on my January 13th post, I will be giving step by step instructions for some of the ideas I came up with using Gefen Dairy Free Wonder Melts for the Zichron Shlomo Refuah Foodfest which took place this past Sunday in New York. In today's post I will be featuring cake pops. There are so many variations of cake pops - what the cake ball is made out of and how it is coated and decorated. Here are some of my ideas, but go ahead and experiment on your own as well - it's loads of fun and not difficult at all!
- Cake balls
- Wonder Melts
- Lollipop sticks
- Wilton fondant(optional)
- Flower fondant plungers
- Butterfly fondant plungers (optional)
- Microwave, double boiler, or Wilton Chocolate Pro Electric Melting Pot
For this project I used a Cake pop machine, and followed the recipe for Vanilla Cake Pops found in the instructions manual.
Vanilla Cake Pops
- 11/2cupsall purpose flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup butter, softened (I used margarine)
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 eggs
- 2 tsp vanilla
- 1/2 cup milk (I used soy milk)
- Combine flour, baking powder and salt. Set aside.
- In a separate bowl, beat together butter and sugar until light and creamy. Beat in eggs and vanilla.
- Alternately blend in flour mixture and milk into butter mixture, beginning and ending with the flour mixture.
- Fill each cookie reservoir with about 1 Tbsp of batter.
- Bake 4-5 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into a cake pop comes out clean.
- Allow to cool before coating.
Directions for dipping cake pops:
- Begin by melting your chocolate in a double boiler, microwave or a chocolate melting pot.(I purchased a Chocolate Melting Pot to use at the show.It was such a pleasure using them.I intended to use them at the show only,but I decided to use them at home as well.I often end up burning the chocolate in the microwave and with a double boiler,there is always that chance of getting water in the chocolate.With the melting pot,it can sit on the counter for hours keeping the chocolate melted and ready to use.)
- Dip the tip of the lollipop stick into the melted Wonder Melts, then stick into the cake ball (the chocolate acts as a glue).Allow to dry.
3. Insert the cake ball into the melted Wonder Melts. Twirl or tap gently to remove excess melted Wonder Melts. Place dipped cake pops on a parchment lined cookie sheet to dry. Alternately, you can place the sticks in a piece of Styrofoam to dry.
Directions for decorating cake pops:
If you are using sprinkles, add them while the chocolate is still wet. It will harden quickly.
For fondant decoration:
1. Roll out fondant.2. For the butterfly, cut out butterfly using a fondant butterfly shaped plunger. Lift the "wings" of the butterfly slightly and allow to harden in that position (a couple of minutes). Attach the butterfly to the cake pop with a drop of melted Wonder Melts.
For the flower, cut out flower using a fondant flower shaped plunger. To attatch, simply slide the flower down the stick of the cake pop.
Wrap in & Clear Bags and Ribbon, if desired. Store in a single layer, in an airtight container. This post contains affiliate links from Amazon, which means I earn a very small commission if you click and make a purchase.