Photography by Dan Engongora
This side dish has always been one of my favorites. It’s a nice change from the standard potato, pasta and rice sides.
Though the picture and the ingredients call for asparagus, this recipe can be adapted for cauliflower or string beans as well.
- 2 lbs asparagus , string beans or cauliflower
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- Kosher salt and pepper to taste
- 1 Tbsp canola oil
- ½ cup Panko crumbs
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 400.
- Remove ends, tips and small triangles from asparagus to prevent any problems with bugs.
- Place asparagus on a parchment lined cookie sheet.
- Drizzle asparagus with oil and sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- Roast until tender, 10-15 minutes, then transfer to a platter. Meanwhile , place oil in medium pot over medium heat.
- Add panko crumbs ,salt and pepper and cook, stirring frequently till golden brown.
- Remove from heat.
- Sprinkle asparagus with crumbs right before serving to ensure that the crumbs remain crunchy.
Note - if you prefer you can cook the vegetables
This Article by EstherO. originally appeared in Mishpacha Magazine.