Photography by Dan Engongoro
Fresh, hot, fluffy, with a mouth watering coffee glaze or cream cheese topping….. need I write more? These cinnamon buns are simply irresistible.
- 5 ¾ cup flour
- 4 ½ tsp dry yeast
- ½ cup sugar
- 1 ½ tsp salt
- 1 cup soy milk
- 1 cup water
- ¼ cup margarine or ¼ cup oil -for a healthier version
- 2 eggs
- 2 cups dark brown sugar
- 3 TBSP cinnamon
- ¾ cup oil
- ¼ tsp kosher salt
- 2 scoops vanilla sugar
- Combine 2 cups flour,yeast,sugar and salt in the bowl of your mixer.
- Heat milk, water and margarine(or oil) in saucepan over medium heat or in microwave until warm 120-130 .
- Add to flour mixture.Add eggs and remaining flour and knead until smooth.
- Cover and let rise in a warm place for 1 hour.
- Preheat oven to 375
- Prepare filling-combine all ingredients
- Punch down the dough and divide into 3 parts.
- On lightly floured surface,roll out each piece to a 9x13” rectangle.
- Spread the filling on the dough.Starting with the 12” side,roll up tightly.
- Cut into 9 slices.Place in 8” square pan.
- Cover buns and let rise another half hour.
Bake 20-25 minutes until golden brown. Please note: you will find that this dough is quite sticky. It will become less sticky as it rises. You can add more flour to make the dough less sticky if needed. However, the less flour you add, the fluffier the cinnamon buns will be. Prepare the glaze or the frosting while the buns are baking.
- 2 cups confectioners sugar
- 3 TBSP margarine melted
- 1 tsp pancake syrup
- ¼ tsp coffee granules diluted in 3-4 TBSP hot water
Place all ingredients in medium bowl. Mix well and drizzle over warm buns.
CREAM CHEESE FROSTING:
- 6 oz cream cheese,softened
- ½ cup margarine,softened
- 3 cups confectioners sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- ¼ tsp salt
Place all ingredients in mixing bowl. Beat till well combined. Spread frosting on warm rolls before serving.
This Article by EstherO. originally appeared in Mishpacha Magazine.